Community Gardens Guidelines
These guidelines are meant to ensure the continuing successes and prosperity of the garden program and require the cooperation of everyone involved.
1. Garden fee is $35.00/plot, paid by cash or cheque with your application. Applications will be accepted on a FIRST COME FIRST SERVE basis, regardless of previous participation.
2. Garden plots are restricted to one per household.
3. Be considerate of your neighbours. Only harvest from your own plot and do not plant sprawling crops or tall ones that might interfere with other gardeners. Staking of plants is encouraged.
4. Use of chemical pesticides, herbicides and fertilizers is prohibited.
5. Watering must not be left unattended. Water must be shut off and hoses rolled on to hose reel when finished.
6. Gardeners are required to weed and maintain their plots. A neglected plot will be considered abandoned. Please notify staff if you are no longer able to tend to your plot, if you will be absent for a period of time, or if you have asked a friend to tend your garden. Abandoned plots will be reassigned.
7. Pets are not permitted within the Boreal Discovery Centre grounds including the garden area.
8. Family members and friends are encouraged to visit and help you in the gardens. Please supervise and children and inform adults of the rules to avoid disruption of the other plots.
9. Borrowed tools should be cleaned and returned to the tool shed when finished. Tools are NOT to be taken home.
10. Vandalism is to report to staff as soon as possible.
11. Plots are to be harvested to cleared by the end of September. Boreal Discovery Centre hours will be limited after the seasonal staff are gone, however, you will be advised prior.
12. Please dispose of weeds and plant materials in designated compost areas.
13. No debris of any kind should be left at the garden site. Use the trash receptacles next to the shed or recycle receptacles inside facility.
14. Gardeners are welcome to use the restrooms in the main building, however, please refrain from washing vegetables and tools in the sink. Use outside garden hose for washing vegetables, tools, etc as needed.
15. Gardeners are welcome to use the picnic area and seating area located around the gardens.
16. Please ensure all garbage and personal belongings are not left on site. Please do NOT enter other areas of the facility – we are under construction in other areas throughout the summer.
17. If you have any questions, suggestions or concerns please contact us.